Veterans Homes Program
The Missouri Veterans Homes manage a total of 1350 beds that provide long term skilled nursing care in compliance with 157 Federal Department of Veterans Affairs regulations. The Homes are located in Cameron, Cape Girardeau, Mexico, Mount Vernon, St. James, St. Louis, and Warrensburg.
Application for Admission
For admission to a Missouri Veterans Home, please print off, fill out and mail all of the following forms to your first choice facility:
- Copy of DD214
- Durable Power of Attorney Paperwork
- Proof of Residency
- Application for Admission
- Admission Medical Information
- Health Information
- Financial Information
- Privacy Notice
To be eligible for admission to a Missouri Veterans Home (RSMo Chapter 42), a Veteran during his or her lifetime must have lived in Missouri for 180 days, meet the criteria for Veteran status established by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, and require institutional health care services. Eligibility and admission decisions are made by a team comprised of the Administrator, Physician, Director of Nursing, Social Worker, Veterans Service Officer, and other professionals as needed.
- The Veteran must have been discharged under conditions other than dishonorable
- The Veteran must have been a resident of the State of Missouri for at least 180 days at some point in his/her life
- The Veteran must have documentation from a physician that he/she needs skilled nursing home care
- The Veteran’s health condition must be such that the Home has the resources to care for him. The final decision for admission is determined by a healthcare team comprised of the Administrator, Physician, Director of Nursing, Social Worker and other professionals as needed.
Monthly Resident Charge
The monthly resident charge is calculated using a sliding scale based on the Veteran’s ability to pay. Currently the maximum resident charge is $1950 per month.
The Missouri Veterans Commission provides the following benefits to eligible Missouri veterans:
Each Missouri Veterans Home employs a licensed nursing home administrator, has registered nurses on duty 24 hours per day, and provides physician care; physical, speech, occupational and recreational therapy; medications; cosmetology; maintenance, environmental and social services, and dietary specialists. Each home has a secured dementia unit that includes a dining room, activity area and enclosed courtyard.
- Seven modern well-equipped Veterans Homes located throughout the State.
- Each Missouri Veterans Home has a secured special care unit with specialized programming for dementia care.
- In addition to excellent food, Missouri Veterans Homes provide medical and skilled nursing care; recreational and rehabilitative therapy; social services and pastoral services.
- The maximum monthly rate is fixed each year by the Commission. On a case-by-case basis the rate can be adjusted if financial hardship is documented.